Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Polar Vortex

A good portion of the US is in what is being referred to as the "Polar Vortex" right now. Some parts of the country are seeing temperatures down to -75 degrees. That is weather I have never seen before,nor do I ever. Compared to those temperatures,we are down right balmy- 12 degrees,maybe closer to 0 with the wind chill. We did have have a bit of a reprieve for a couple of days where the temps got above freezing,but it didn't last very long.

According to Accuweather,a polar vortex is a large pocket of very cold air,usually the coldest in the Northern Hemisphere,which stays around the polar region in wintertime. The pocket was pushed south,down to the US.The pocket is not usually pushed as far south.

Seasons are no longer the same as they were when I was young. We no longer see much of a spring here,and nice fall weather doesn't last long.Storms are getting stronger. Some folks don't believe in climate change,but I sure do.


All we have been doing here,as we have been,is making sure the sheep and chickens are doing well,and keeping the wood stove going. I have been working on some Scouting tasks,going through my books to see which ones I want to donate,and working on my home management binders. I have also been trying to get caught up on sleep-I have not slept well for four days,and it's beginning to take it's toll. I am someone who needs her sleep-some folks are lucky and don't need much,but I always have. I feel like a walking zombie. Maybe today I can catch a nap. It seems like when ever I try,the phone doesn't stop ringing,or I just can relax enough to get those extra zzzzzz's.

To my friends in the US and Canada,please stay safe and warm!!!

4 comments:

  1. Keep warm, it sounds horrific over there. There's certainly something going on with the weather. I watched a programme not so long ago that gave some indication of why this could happen. The earth moves around the sun but not in a circle, it's elliptical, and the earth as it spins tilts on it's axis and these variations over long periods of time affect weather patterns. It's something that has happened throughout history. There will be a point somewhere off in the long distant future that the Earth will be in such a position that it will trigger another ice age...it was far more complicated that this of course, this is the slightly non-scientific Webber theory, well renowned in our house! :D Get some sleep and unplug the phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did finally get caught up on some sleep :)

      Delete
  2. Our family the last few weeks have been praying for all those in the East. We live in Northern California and it has been so much warmer than normal. Our family moved up to 4000 elevation where we should be having snow right now. Your poor state and others are getting it all currently.

    Love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Carol "Torch Light Cottage"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome,Carol! I'm glad you are enjoying my little blog. Thanks for keeping everyone in your prayers :)

    ReplyDelete